Ways to stave off flooding:
Floods are coming. It is just a matter of time. See Science Nature’s video on ‘Melting Ice Sheets Are Accelerating Sea Level Rise’ It is so much better to spend funds invested in Flood Defense thn to spend funds to clean up the out-of-control damage and clean-up.
- Planting Vegetation to retain extra water on land, and also anchors the soil, helping prevent mudslides. More care should be taken when deforesting with landslides in mind.
- Planting mangroves on vulnerable shorelines help break the surge of water as it hits land.
- Terracing hillsides help slow down the flow of water.
- Build more channels and reservoirs to take the overflow of water.
- Of course, build and maintain levees in established areas, but we need to be realistic about respecting the water’s path and stop trying to contain with levees and dams in new areas. With the increase of water and earthquakes, these become more likely to fail.
- City Planners, Mayors, Private Builders need to come to terms with the fact that they have to stop building close to shores.
- Build more breakwaters out of rock and/or cement, old ships, etc. on shorelines to brace for the inevitable.
- The new technology in floodgates, barriers and doors need to be implemented in more places around the world.
- Individual homes can implement rain barrels and containers to hold water during heavy rains. Every little bit helps!
- Pay attention to history. If an area floods once, it will most likely flood again and again. Accept the facts and relocate rather than repairing and rebuilding.